Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Dad

There are few things in life that can really upset a person. This week I learned that my Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. For the record this sucks! I haven't been able to digest the fact that this is a reality. Life is full of trials, but I must say that I am quite fed up with them. It seems that past couple of years that my family just can't seem to get away from them. Yes, I'm having a pity party.

My Dad is one of the greatest men I know. I'm just devastated with the news. My tears have wet my pillow every night since I found out. He's too young. My children still need so many years with him. He better fight this with everything he has in him. We are depending on him. He is the head of our family. I know he will be fine, but we need him to get through this!

A few memories have been brought to the forefront of my mind. I thought I would list a few.

1. In college I went out to my car, and I found a note under my windshield wiper. Included in the note was a band aide telling me he would help make things all better. He must have driven late in the night to put the note there because I hadn't gotten home until very late the previous night.

2. He has always left a knee open for me to sit on especially when I needed his counsel.

3. Pull my finger brought more smiles at difficult times than anything else. What a classic!

4. He is such a worry wart. I don't remember how old I was but he carved worry warts out of dial soap.

5. During my infertility struggles, he made me a fertility ring out of an elk antler. Such a cute Dad! I still have the ring.

6. There was never a time and I mean never that I knew I couldn't trust him. He is a man of his word.

7. He is funny! I love it when he gets laughing so hard he cries.

8. For the time at our kitchen table (last year) when we cried together. Thanks Dad I so needed to feel that from you.

9. For all the LP's. LP stands for Larry Protocols. Did you turn out all the lights? Check! Did you lock the all the doors? Check! Did you check the air in your tires? Check! Did you put the garage door down? Check! I love the LPs.

10. For all the Christmas memories! You made Christmas such a special time. It was pretty late in my life when I realized that Santa's elf's were not real.

11. Summer nights on the back of the motorcycle while listening to Don Williams.

12. Daddy daughter date nights. I particularly remember the time you took me to RAX burgers and taught me about country music. You said country music was the best because it told stories about real people.

13. Hours spent making a homemade ice skating rink.

14. Watching your reaction to jokes directed at you...especially the rascal joke.

15. How about the time you chased me across the front lawn because I was being a smartxxx. I didn't know you could run so fast. You scared the crap out of me.

16. You are the best grandpa ever. Lette loves her Poppie. Thank you for loving her from the moment you met her. She loves to wrestle with her poppie...oh wait NO she doesn't! David loves you too.

17. Dancing cheek-to-cheek. I still love this!

18. I love that we have the same taste in food. I know if you like something then it will automatically be good.

19. You taught me how to work hard for everything. Thank you for always providing for our family. We never went with out.

20. I love you Dad...just because your my Dad, but also for so many other reasons.

Have faith. You will make it through this trial with flying colors.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You practically made me cry at work!

Arlie's Corner said...

Dear Mel,
Your Dad will love your message as I do. Simple seemed the best for us as you kids grew up. I have total faith that you and your children will have many years with your Dad. He loves you 5 girls like no other, and each one of you are his favorites. I hope you have felt loved by both of us, and that you have learned from our mistakes, our disasters, and especially from the deep love your Dad and I have for one another.

Becca Hatch said...

You will all make it through this hard time. All these memories that you have made together have equipped you with lessons to deal with this bad news. Our prayers are with you.