Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mike on C-Span/The Fruit of Sacrifice

At Mike's work party, his boss (Jeff) took me aside and said, "I understand from Dan (Mike's other boss) that Mike doesn't explain to you what he has done with the ADA (American Disability Act) Amendments Act of 2008." I said, "No, I ask him every day who he meets and what he does, but he tells me I would just find it boring." Jeff began to explain that without Mike the new ADA Amendment would've never been passed. He explained that the Civil Rights Leadership had pulled him aside and thanked him for all that Mike had done. The Disability groups praised his leadership and knowledge. There were a few other things mentioned, but you get the general idea. Jeff concluded by saying he has seen few individuals in Washington with Mike's talent for understanding legislation, politics and the law (in relation to employment, labor and other human resource issues).

I knew Mike had been working closely with Senator Hatch (Republican) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (Democrat), but I had no idea how involved he had been in this process.

I am so proud of him. I walked away from my conversation with Jeff in pure amazement regarding who Mike had the opportunity of working with and what he had accomplished.

When Mike quit his job in Dallas to pursue his LLM in ERISA law, we both received many criticisms. Most people couldn't believe he would leave his high paying job, sale our home, leave good friends, etc... This road by no means has been an easy one. The Ghetto Pad was an experience to say the least. Living on a much smaller income has been a challenge, but hearing Jeff so elated over Mike's accomplishments put everything into perspective for me. With great sacrifice comes great blessings.

Last Thursday night, I asked Mike how is day was and he said, "Well, Senator Hoyer thanked me on C-Span today." All I can say is, totally awesome!

I am proud of you Mike. I love you!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sweet! Way to go Mike (he's so humble). You look gorgeous - by the way!