On Saturday night, we headed up to DC to watch a CAPS game. Prior to the game we had dinner with one of Mike coworkers and his buddy. His friend (can't remember his name) works for one of the government agencies as an Economist.
The dinner conversation was fascinating. I enjoyed just sitting back at taking in the conversation. A brief summary of the conversation was 'we haven't seen nothin yet' and 'tighten up our belts' it's only going to get worse. Seriously, how can it get worse? The remainder of the weekend I kept thinking about what I can do to cut our budget. For the last two years, we've been on a VERY tight budget (Hockey is our only outlet).
Back to the drawing board/budget board. I guess my weekly lunch at Chic-fil-a with the kiddos is next or back to making homemade bread...
3 comments:
Dear mel. I made bread today. i love to make it. Although when the boys come in about 4pm and find out they can't have any they will feel bad. We have a sick family in the ward and the bread is for them. I'll have to bake again this week for the family. Amy's family really like my bread. Give valetSP some dough and a little pan and she will love it. Show her how it gets bigger with a little time and she'll be hooked forever. Love you Mel. If I lived close I'd make it for you. Love ya a bunch
I'm with Grandma- I love to make homemade bread- there is nothing as satisfying or delicious. I have several great recipes but here is one of my favorites of late (half this if you don't have a Bosch mixer):
In the bowl of your mixer combine: 1/2 cup sugar or honey, 1 1/2 cups instant potatoes, 1 T salt, 3 T liquid lecithin (get it at a health foods store, and don't use a measuring spoon just eyeball it- it's very sticky). Heat 2 cups each milk and water in the microwave, pour over potato mixture. Let mixer run until potatoes are dissolved. Add 3 or 4 cups of flour, letting the mixer run, then add 3 T SAF yeast. Add flour, one cup at a time until dough pulls from sides but still sticks to the bottom. Let mixer run 5 minutes. Shape into loaves, let rise 25 minutes, bake at 350 25 minutes. You can have four loaves of bread in less than one hour.
Sorry about the longest comment ever. xoxo
P.S. I hate budget cuts, but it must be done.
I started awhile ago on making homemade bread and it is fantastic. It doesn't take very long for me to make and I try to start it when my little one is down to sleep. My hubby likes it the best.
We too have been on a tight budget. Especially trying to sell and move and find our home that we would want to stay in for a really long time. It seems that all our friends have homes but us. I don't think a condo is much of a home anyway. I go out of my mind with this hole idea of a condo now.
I find cold and rainy days the best time to make bread. It has been raining for a couple days now here in Southern California and I've been loving it.
Enjoy your time cooking and spending that time with your kids helping you!
Post a Comment