Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A visit with Gloria

Sometimes in life we don't appreciate certain people until we get a little older. After my Grandpa Judd passed away in 2006, my Grandma Judd flew out to Dallas and spent a week with us. It was during that trip, that I gained an appreciation for her. She is one tough cookie. At times she can be difficult to deal with and can say hurtful things. She also cares a great deal about her family. When she came to visit me all those years ago, I made an effort to get to know the "real Gloria". I learned more about her difficult childhood, losing her mother to cancer and losing her brother Jimmy shortly after her mother died. After her visit, I finally understood why she is the way she is. I don't think anyone would fair very well being tossed back and forth between aunties, ignored by a Dad dealing with grief and feeling the absence of a loving Mom. I saw her in a different light. I loved her for her struggles and felt sorry for her loses. During my trip this past weekend it was important for me to tell her what a good grandmother she is. I kissed on her, loved her, rubbed her feet and back and left with a good feeling that if I didn't see her again, she knew that I appreciated her. During my second visit, tears welled up in my eyes. She is my last grandparent living. Part of my legacy. She has helped mold who I am, and if I don't see her again, I take great comfort in knowing that she will soon be reunited with the mother and brother she lost at such a young age.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your picts made me HOMESICK!

Heidi said...

That was very well said.