Tuesday, February 19, 2008

ER Visits, Hulk Hoganette & Ipod

Well over the past 7-days, I have had the great fortune of speading hours in the ER. Last Monday I had to take Lette in - she has urinary reflux - she was complaining that her pee pee hurt & she was running a fever. We have to get her checked to make sure she does not have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Mike had a congressional hearing @ the Hill, so I took both of the kids with me. Let's just say it was not a pleasant experience. Two screaming children + 1 crazy nurse = one burnt out mother. Lette's trip was particularly irritating because she had to be cathiterized twice. Let's just say the nurse did not know what the heck she was doing & the resident MD was green as grass. Total time spent in the ER last Monday 4 hours. Fast forward to yesterday, both kiddos have had a cough, runny nose & fevers four about 1-2 days. Lette seemed to be getting over hers pretty quickly, but David started to get worse last night. Lots of coughing, fever of 102, runny nose & he had not slept all day. Typically all he does is smile & talk, so back to the ER went - this time Mike was with Lette -.

SUMMARY OF EVENTS: We arrive @ Childrens Hospital at 10 PM. We get triaged to the back by 10:30 PM & are told, "You came on a good night. We happen to be very slow." Next our RN comes takes Davids history & complaint and thens says, "The doctor will be here shortly...we do not have many patients tonight." At this point I am thinking, FANTASTIC I am not going to be here another 4 hours. By 1:30 AM...yes 1:30 AM I had not seen a resident or an attending MD. I made several inquiries to their status & was told each time they would be with me shortly. 1:20 AM I am so PO'd I put David's coat on packed up the diaper bag & started to walk out the door. All the sudden, the resident comes strolling in. When she asked where I was going, I told her I was tired of waiting and was going home. She said,"if you'll please sit down we will get you out of here quickly." I seriously wanted to go balistic! I asked her if she was the attending or the resident, and she said she was the resident. I asked if I could please just see the attending and of course denied. By this time it is 2:15 AM. She finished the exam & says, "Please wait here I'm going to go get my attending." I then respond, "How long is that going to take?" She says, "5 or 10 mintues while I complete your discharge paperwork." So I wait another 20 minutes & no attending to be found. Again I asked the nurse if she knew where the attending was, and of course she didn't. I was so tired, frustrated & so sick of the ER I just left. The most frustrating part of this whole experience was walking out I saw the attending & the resident sitting down to get a bite to eat.
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME! The only slow thing about the night were the doctors.


The next event of the week....
Growing up with boy cousins I saw plenty of WWE type wrestling. Infact my cousins "from the city" - as we used to call them - were pros. This week Lette has decided she is as strong as Hulk Hogan & has attempted put the strangle hold on her brother. I mean come on...can't I just deal with sick kiddos instead of the WWE. Oh how I need to go on a vacation. A picture of this event was not possible due to life saving measures.

The one good thing of the week....
Mike did bless me with an IPOD for V-day. Thanks hubby!! It has helped me get through a very difficult week.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

I can't believe how doctors with a God complex think nothing of your (and your infant's) misery. I'm glad you all survived it. On the Hulk Hogan note, Kate loves to watch the UFC with her dad, and can get you in an arm bar before you know what has hit you. I'm pretty sure Maggie's life is in danger. Xoxo Bec