Sometimes life doesn't go the way we initially thought it would. For example, I thought I would have five children by the time I was 30-years-old or the fact that I assumed I would live in Morgan, Utah my entire life. Neither of which are even close to becoming a reality. Additionally, I thought I would never be the type of woman that would desire a career. My ideal was staying home baking cookies, keeping a clean home and other June Cleaver related duties.
Anyone who associated with me in college knew I cared more about cute boys than good grades. I was a free-floating social butterfly, and my grades showed it. I know I was on probation more often than not. Luckily after my mission, I stumbled into a profession that I grew to love & excelled at. While Mike was in Law School, I was his "Sugar Mama". I was able to work as a consultant for a healthcare company called HCA. My position provided a good income, education opportunities and fabulous benefits. It taught me that even though I did not have my degree, I had to master a skill that made me valuable. When I quit working for HCA in 2006, I felt impressed to keep up my national certifications and continuing education classes.
Fast forward to the past six-months. From previous posts, I indicated that I formed my own company and was working on teaching medical coding classes. Things were progressing fine; however, something just did not feel right, but I knew that I needed to return to work (Georgetown Student Loans and other debts Mike and I would both like to quickly rid ourselves of). Side-note the Brethren really know what they are talking about when it comes to debt and living below our means. If you haven't made efforts to cut your budgets and stash money away...take it from me. Do it! Anyway....
Each night I would take my desires to the Lord. Asking him to help me find the best possible option for my children. I did not want to leave the home. I knew if I could bring in some money each month it would help out tremendously. For a while it felt like nothing was working out. Then two-weeks ago, I received a phone call from HCA. This was somewhat out-of-the-BLUE because I had contacted them back in July, and they told me they were no longer hiring remote consultants (meaning people that telecommute from home).
I received my offer letter yesterday. I just want to thank the Lord for answering all my prayers. I can work from home again. They offered me more money than what I was making when I quit in 2006. I will be reinstated as an 7-year-employee (401 K fully vested, etc). I literally have been in tears since I got the letter. This will allow Mike and I to almost be entirely out of debt by next year at this time (we rent so we don't own a home). With the economy the way it is, I feel so blessed. This is not to say that this will not be with out sacrifice. Mike's parents are actually moving out to VA, and Mike's mom will be watching the kids for me while I work.
I want to thank my parents for all the encouragement and prayers because this was a very tough decision for me to make. I'm thankful for Mike's parents offering to move out here, so my children will be well taken care of.
October 27th is my dooms-day/blessing-day to return to work.
So even though my life hasn't turned out exactly the way I thought it would. I would NOT change a thing about my life. My trials are my own. They have taught me much. I have felt the power of the Lord working in my life, and I know I will still have June Cleaver moments. I will just have to multi-task a little more efficiently. I hope I can teach Lette how important it is for GALS to have an education. Whether it's a college degree or a valuable skill because we just never know when we'll need to contribute financially to our families.
To my husband thanks for being supportive of my decision to return to work. I love you and appreciate all you do for our family.
7 comments:
Good luck Mel! I know it is always such a HUGE decision of whether to work or not, full time or part time, and worrying about the kids and all, but it looks like you have everything squared away to work out perfect!
I think you posted that at a perfect time. It was something I really needed to read. So glad we reconnected!!
I think you posted that at a perfect time. It was something I really needed to read. So glad we reconnected!!
Wow! That is great, Mel. You've been really resourceful and now it's paying off. I know you will be blessed!
That is awesome that you can put your kids in the care of family. That is the only way I would do it. Good luck with work! I plan on doing something from home once we move.
Congrats on the job! The sacrifices seem small for the huge rewards! Working part time has taught me to enjoy my family more and cherish every moment.
Wow, what a blessing. Everything seems to be following right into place for you. It is just amazing to me how it all works out. And just think.....no debt. YEAH!!!
Post a Comment