Since Villette was old enough to understand her adoption story, we have talked about the day we met her and where she was born. For several months, Mike and I have talked about taking Villette back to Malone, NY for her to see where our lives were changed and where the course of her life began. We left on July 3rd for the 10 hour drive to Malone, NY. Malone is about 2 hours from the Canadian border..roughly in the middle of upstate NY. During the drive we had time to talk about Miss Heather (Villette's birthmom) and all the courage she had to place Villette. We discussed how excited we were to have her in our family and how Heavenly Father knew she was meant to be with us.
On July 4th we were all anticipating going to the hospital to see where she was born. Here she is in our hotel waiting for her adventure to begin.
The first stop we made was to Alyce Hyde Hospital. This first picture is the hallway where Heather's mom placed Villette in my arms. For me this was most emotional because I remembered hugging Colleen (Heather's Mom) and just weaping. I felt so happy and guilty and the same time because I knew at that moment Heather was in a great deal of despair and pain. For us, this spot brought back a ton of memories.
Next we asked permission to go up to Labor and Delivery. The hospital was almost empty because of the holiday. When we walked into the L/D waiting area, Mike got very emotional and I couldn't believe how everything looked EXACTLY the same as it did 6 1/2 years ago. Here we are taking pictures in that room. Mike and I spent many hours visiting Heather and Villette.
Villette then got to knock of the door that lead back to the hospital room where she was born.
The door opened and the nurse that came out was ONE OF THE NURSES THAT TOOK CARE OF VILLETTE!!!! At this point, it took all I had to keep my emotions in check. I wanted to cry my eyes out in gratitude, but I didn't want Villette to be upset (she doesn't like it when I cry). Here she is with Nurse Debbie. We explained to Debbie why we were there, and she took us back to the VERY ROOM where Heather delivered her and where we first met her!! It was marvelous. The pictures where we are together as a family is the same spot where we had pictures with Heather, Colleen and Villette the night before she was placed in our family.
The top picture shows the front of the hospital, the
3rd picture is the back entrance where we left with Villette and the last picture is of the hotel where Heather, Colleen and her Aunt Julia stayed while they were in Malone.
Villette was so happy!! She kept saying how fun it was to see where she was born. We felt the Spirit very strongly the entire day. It was so special to be back there and to remember what a special time it was in our lives. Everyday I thank God that Heather had the courage, strength and love for Villette to place her in our family. She is such a blessing in our lives.
We spent the rest of the afternoon in Malone at a park and at a drive inn. I know she will always remember this experience, and we hope to take her back again some day.
3 comments:
The trip looks amazing! I can't wait to hear more about it. I think it is incredible how you teach Vilette about her/your history. xoxox
That is so tender!! I think it is wonderful that you have included Heather in Vilette's life. How fun for her to be able to go back and see where it all started. Everyone looks so happy and healthy!
Heidi said it perfectly. I'm very touched as well. The pictures are wonderful, and what a neat experience for all of you. When you come to Utah, you may have to do the same thing for David! Loved my visit. It looks like I got out of there just in time. I don't think there would have been room for you, Mike & me all in the same bed!!! Hee Hee. Love you.
Post a Comment